This Exit Strategies workshop was presented at the Artic 15 Conference in Helsinki, Finland May 26, 2014.
There were almost 2,000 entrepreneurs and investors from countries throughout Northern Europe and the Baltics.
Highlights from Part 1 – Exits Have Changed
- The world is changing
- Big companies have lost the ability to innovate
- The best and the brightest now work in startups
- Big companies need innovation so they are acquiring
- Faster and earlier than we’ve ever seen before
- Most exits are under US$15 million
- Exits are the best part of being an entrepreneur or investor
>Highlights from Part 2 – Exit Strategy
- Exit strategy has to come before you start to speak with investors
- Different investors are compatible with different exit strategies
- Not understanding this can literally kill a company
- You don’t have to be profitable to be acquired
- The best time to exit may be right after you prove the model
- Many companies are being acquired just 2 or 3 years from startup
- How to determine the ideal exit timing for your company
- Don’t Ride It Over the Top!
>Highlights from Part 3 – Buyers Today and Why They Have So Much Money
- There are more types of M&A buyers than we’ve ever had before
- Each type thinks and operates differently
- It’s not uncommon to have several types bidding at the same time
- There are trillions of dollars targeting acquisitions
- The only challenge is there are not enough companies to be acquired
- This is a golden era for entrepreneurs and angel investors
The PowerPoint for this talk is online here.